by Maurice J. Johnson
This innovative book addresses the practical day-to-day realities and technicalities of the
garment-making business-wholesale, manufacturing, designing, and private-label product
Apparel Product Development is comprehensive, yet easy to read and accessible, it
explains step-by-step how to handle a real, roll-up-the-sleeves job in today's fashion
It features a wealth of "insider" perspectives, wisdom from the pros, detailed illustrated
procedures, and several "hands-on" exercises for real-world practice.
This book will give you the big picture with sufficient detail to be able to:
- Decide if this field is right for you, with an up-close look at apparel
- Put subsequent specialized fashion and garment construction courses into perspective
- Serve as a commonsense (rather than glamorized) foundation for a fashion career
- Help students with the transition from the world of school (known) to the world of
- NEW-Expanded product development focus
- NEW-Broader global perspective
- NEW-Updated research references
- NEW-Business opportunities for the 21st Century
- Emphasis on critical, "how to" information
- Visual step-by-step explanations of product development
- Detailed presentation of cost sheets and spec sheets
- Careful illustrations of designer "work boards"
- Extensive use of graphics throughout
- Structured exercises
- Profiles on a wide range of industry people
- "Words of Wisdom from Industry Pros"
- Extensive writing examples and exercises
- Entire chapter on industry terms
- Vocabulary words defined in margins
- THE FASHION WORLD VERSUS THE REAL WORLD
- So You Want to Work in the Fashion Business?
- Segments of the Garment Industry: Where the Jobs Are
- Changes in Today's Fashion Industry-Whose Label Is It Anyway?
- The Customer: Different Generations, Different Motivations, Different Clothes
- How Much Do Customers Spend and What Sense of Style Do They Have?
- Where Are Customers Buying Their Clothes?
- THE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
- Research: Putting out Fashion "Feelers"
- Fashion's Triangle of Balance: You Can't Sell Granny Bloomers to Baby Boomers!
- Building the First Design Ideas: Don't Lose That Thought!
- Going from Planning to Costing: Squeezing out Those Pennies
- Line Building: From Specs to Samples
- Production: Go, Team, Go!
- Selling the Line: How Final Is the Sale?
- Three Seasons at Once: Spinning Plates on Poles
- TECHNOLOGY, POLITICS, AND GEOGRAPHY: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS ALL THIS GOING?
- Apparel Goes On-Line
- The Politics of Apparel Importing: Rewards and Punishments
- The Geography of Tomorrow's Manufacturing or, "I Have to Change Planes in Kuala Lumpur?"
- Manufacturing in the United States: Is There a Future?
- SO, AFTER ALL THIS, IS THE FASHION BUSINESS FOR YOU?
- Apparel Business in the 21st Century: Where Will the Opportunities Lie?
- Garmento Lingo: Talk Like an Insider
- Words of Wisdom from Industry Pros