Based on the most recent standards from ASHRAE, this Sixth Edition provides complete and up-to-date coverage of all aspects of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning!
You'll find the latest load calculation procedures, indoor air quality procedures, and issues related to ozone depletion. Also integrated throughout the text are numerous worked examples that clearly show you how to apply the concepts in realistic scenarios.
- Additional new worked examples in the text and on the accompanying software
- Chapters 6-9 have been extensively revised for clarity and ease of use
- Chapter 8, The Cooling Load, now includes two approaches: the heat balance method, as recommended by ASHRAE, and the simpler RTS method. Both include computer applications to aid in calculations
- Provides complete, authoritative treatment of all aspects of HVAC, based on current ASHRAE standards
- Numerous worked examples and homework problems provide realistic scenarios to apply concepts
- Plus much more!
In addition, several computer programs help you understand key concepts and allow you to simulate various scenarios, such as psychometrics and air quality, load calculations, piping system design, duct system design, and cooling coil simulation. Additionally, the load calculation program has been revised and updated.
- Historical Notes.
- Common HVAC Units and Dimensions.
- Fundamental Physical Concepts.
- Additional Comments
- The Complete System.
- System Selection and Arrangement.
- HVAC Components and Distribution Systems.
- Types of All-Air Systems.
- Air-and-Water Systems.
- All-Water Systems.
- Decentralized Cooling and Heating.
- Heat Pump Systems.
- Heat Recovery Systems.
- Thermal Energy Storage.
Moist Air Properties and Conditioning Processes.
- Moist Air and the Standard Atmosphere.
- Fundamental Parameters.
- Adiabatic Saturation.
- Wet Bulb Temperature and the Psychrometric Chart.
- Classic Moist Air Processes.
- Space Air Conditioning—Design Conditions.
- Space Air Conditioning—Off-Design Conditions.
Comfort and Health—Indoor Environmental Quality.
- Comfort—Physiological Considerations.
- Environmental Comfort Indices.
- Comfort Conditions.
- The Basic Concerns of IAQ.
- Common Contaminants.
- Methods to Control Humidity.
- Methods to Control Contaminants.
Heat Transmission in Building Structures.
- Basic Heat-Transfer Modes.
- Tabulated Overall Heat-Transfer Coefficients.
- Moisture Transmission.
Space Heating Load.
- Outdoor Design Conditions.
- Indoor Design Conditions.
- Transmission Heat Losses.
- Heat Losses from Air Ducts.
- Auxiliary Heat Sources.
- Intermittently Heated Structures.
- Supply Air For Space Heating.
- Source Media for Space Heating.
- Computer Calculation of Heating Loads.
- Thermal Radiation.
- The Earth’s Motion About the Sun.
- Solar Angles.
- Solar Irradiation.
- Heat Gain Through Fenestrations.
- Energy Calculations.
The Cooling Load.
- Heat Gain, Cooling Load, and Heat Extraction Rate.
- Application of Cooling Load Calculation Procedures.
- Design Conditions.
- Internal Heat Gains.
- Overview of the Heat Balance Method.
- Transient Conduction Heat Transfer.
- Outside Surface Heat Balance—Opaque Surfaces.
- Fenestration—Transmitted Solar Radiation.
- Interior Surface Heat Balance—Opaque Surfaces.
- Surface Heat Balance—Transparent Surfaces.
- Zone Air Heat Balance.
- Implementation of the Heat Balance Method.
- Radiant Time Series Method.
- Implementation of the Radiant Time Series Method.
- Supply Air Quantities.
Energy Calculations and Building Simulation.
- Degree-Day Procedure.
- Bin Method.
- Comprehensive Simulation Methods.
- Energy Calculation Tools.
- Other Aspects of Building Simulation.
Flow, Pumps, and Piping Design.
- Fluid Flow Basics.
- Centrifugal Pumps.
- Combined System and Pump Characteristics.
- Piping System Fundamentals.
- System Design.
- Steam Heating Systems.
Space Air Diffusion.
- Behavior of Jets.
- Air-Distribution System Design.
Fans and Building Air Distribution.
- Fan Relations.
- Fan Performance and Selection.
- Fan Installation.
- Field Performance Testing.
- Fans and Variable-Air-Volume Systems.
- Air Flow in Ducts.
- Air Flow in Fittings.
- Duct Design—General.
- Duct Design—Sizing.
Direct Contact Heat and Mass Transfer.
- Combined Heat and Mass Transfer.
- Spray Chambers.
- Cooling Towers.
Extended Surface Heat Exchangers.
- The Log Mean Temperature Deficiency (LMTD) Method.
- The Number of Transfer Units (NTU) Method.
- Heat Transfer–Single-Component Fluids.
- Transport Coefficients Inside Tubes.
- Transport Coefficients Outside Tubes and Compact Surfaces.
- Design Procedures for Sensible Heat Transfer.
- Combined Heat and Mass Transfer.
- The Performance of Refrigeration Systems.
- The Theoretical Single-Stage Compression Cycle.
- Refrigeration Equipment Components.
- The Real Single-Stage Cycle.
- Absorption Refrigeration.
- The Theoretical Absorption Refrigeration System.
- The Aqua–Ammonia Absorption System.
- The Lithium Bromide–Water System.
Appendix A: Thermophysical Properties
Appendix B: Weather Data
Appendix C: Pipe and Tube Data
Appendix D: Useful Data
Appendix E: Charts