by Irving Kett
The manual consists of the following:
- 35 of the frequently used ASTM tests in Asphalt Binder and Mix Design.
- Sample computation sand easy to use data sheets, most of which have been developed specifically for the manual
- An up-to-date overview of Asphalt Technology including sources, historical development, and classifications of asphalt products.
- Easy to understand explanations for Voids Mineral Aggregate, Absorbed Asphalt, Effective Asphalt Content, Percent Air Voids, and Percent of Voids filled with Asphalt.
- A stand-alone asphalt manual, written specifically for university laboratory instruction, yet applicable for a commercial testing laboratory. Rarely will other reference materials need to be referred to.
- Dimensions in both the SI and the U.S. Standard systems of measurement.
- An Appendix with conversion factors, rules of safety and procedures, overview of SHRP SUPERPAVE, explanation of asphalt emulsions, and additional data sheets on single-sided pages.
The purpose of this manual is to familiarize industry and students with the technology of asphalt in its several forms namely asphalt cement, cutback asphalt, and asphalt emulsions. The laboratory work is designed to develop an understanding of asphalt properties, characteristics, testing procedures, and specifications.
The procedures outlined are all derived from ASTM designations and practice as recommended by the Asphalt Institute. Where the particular ASTM method permits alternate procedures, the one more applicable to the available equipment and the teaching situation was chosen.
- Nature, Sources and Uses of Asphalt
- Production and Classification of Asphalt
- Tests for Aggregates and Mineral Fillers
- Specific Gravity and Absorption Tests of Coarse and Fine Aggregates
- Resistance of Small-Size Coarse Aggregate to Degradation in the Los Angeles Machine
- Sieve Analysis of Coarse and Fine Aggregates
- Clay Lumps and Friable Particles in Aggregates
- Density of Hydraulic Cement
- Sand Equivalent Value of Soils and Fine Aggregate
- Index of Aggregate Particle Shape and Texture
- Flat and Elongated Particles in Coarse Aggregate
- Tests for Asphalt Materials
- Penetration Test
- Softening Point
- Specific Gravity Test
- Saybolt Furol Viscosity Test
- Flash Point Test
- Flash Point by the Pensky-Martens Closed Tester
- Water in Petroleum Products by Distillation
- Ductility Test
- Testing of Emulsified Asphalts
- Distillation of Cutback Asphalt Products
- Bulk Specific Gravity of Compacted Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- Moisture or Volatile Distillates in Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- Theoretical Maximum Specific Gravity of Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- Solubility Test
- Kinematic Viscosity of Asphalts
- Absolute Viscosity of Asphalts by Vacuum Viscometers
- Quantitative Extraction of Bitumen From Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- Viscosity-Temperature Chart for Asphalts
- Bulk Specific Gravity of Compacted Bituminous Mixtures Using Saturated Surface-Dry Specimens
- Rolling Thin Film Oven Test
- Flash Point of Cutback Asphalt with Tag Open-Cup Apparatus
- Mix Design Procedures
- Marshall Method of Mix Design
- HVEEM Method of Mix Design
- Explanation of Effective Asphalt Content Determination