by I.G. Cowx
Interactions Between Fish and Birds draws together contributions from all over the world to provide a fascinating insight into many case studies and conflicts in managed situations as well as looking at the overall ecology of such interactions in normal un-managed ecosystems.
Impact of birds on fisheries
- Bird-fisheries-interactions: the complexity of managing a system of predators and preys
- Key factor analysis to assess cormorant depredation on inland fisheries in the UK.
- The relationship between cormorant and fish populations at a fishery system in England: an overview
- A theoretical assessment of cormorant impact on the fish stocks in Great Britain
- Fish stocks, commercial fishing and cormorant predation in the Vistula Lagoon, Poland
- The impact of black cormorant on the eel fishery in the River Havel catchment area, Germany
- Do cormorants and fishermen compete for fish resources in the Väinameri (eastern Baltic) area?
- Interactions in the utilisation of small fish by piscivorous fish and birds, and by the fishery in IJsselmeer
- A quantitative assessment of the impact of goosander, Mergus merganser,on salmonid populations in two upland river systems in England and Wales
Bird, fish, habitat interactions
- Interaction between fish and colonial wading birds within reed beds of Lake Neusiedl, Austria
- Management of cyprinid fish populations as an important prey group for the endangered piscivorous bird, bittern, Botaurus stellaris
- On the feeding ecology of the pied kingfisher, Ceryle rudis at Lake Nokoué, Benin. Is there competition with fishermen?
- Seasonal and spatial variation in cormorant predation in a lowland floodplain river
- Assessing the interaction between cormorants and fisheries: the importance of fish community change
- Fish predation by great cormorants, Phalacrocorax carbo carboides, in the Gippsland Lakes, south-eastern Australia
- Changes in the piscivorous bird community at a Polish submontane reservoir between 1990 and 2000 in relation to water level
- The role of parasites in fish-bird interactions: a behavioural ecological perspective
- Will the explosion of Ligula intestinalis in Rastrineobola argentea lead to another shift in the fisheries of Lake Victoria?
- The potential use of fish refuges to reduce damage to inland fisheries by cormorants, Phalacrocorax carbo
- Pilot trials to assess the efficacy of fish refuges in reducing the impact of cormorants on inland fisheries
- Impact of cormorants on the Loch Leven trout fishery and the effectiveness of shooting as mitigation
- Enhancing stocks of European eels, Anguilla anguilla, to benefit bittern, Botaurus stellaris
- Experimental manipulation of great blue heron and belted kingfisher predation rates on stream fishes
- Managing a balance between double-crested cormorant numbers and warmwater fish abundance in the eastern basin of Lake Ontario, New York; preliminary insights from a management programme
- Management of the cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, and endangered whitefish, Coregonus lavaretus, populations of Haweswater, UK
- Turnover in a wintering cormorant population: implications for management
- The impact of fisheries on water birds in Estonia: nature protection and socio-economic perspectives
- Managing the issues between fisheries and fish-eating birds: optimizing the use of shared resources