by Janice Rider Ellis
Basic Nursing Skills offers detailed instruction on 53 essential skills in a single reader-friendly volume.
- Flexible, modular format lets you learn at your own pace, and lets you focus on the specific skills needed to care for a particular patient.
- Front-of-book CD-ROM with Performance Checklists provides a source for easy reference and referral.
- Learning activities help you undrstand the real-world applications for each skill as you learn.
- Rationales help you understand the "why" and "how" behind specific skills.
- Setting-specific information prepares you for any challenge...whether you're caring for patients in the hospital, clients at home or in the clinic, or residents in a long-term care facility.
- Delegation section explains why and how skills can and cannot be assigned to assistive personnel.
- Potential Adverse Outcomes and Interventions provide advice and help you manage unexpected outcomes with confidence.
- Latest Infection Control and Safety measures are highlighted throughout the text with eye-catching icons for easy reference.
- Full-color design and new art program enlivens the text by presenting essential skills in a colorful, easy-to-understand format.
- Expanded critical thinking exercises in every module provide more opportunities to test your knowledge and hone your problem-solving skills.
- An Approach to Nursing Skills
- Basic Body Mechanics
- Basic Infection Control
- Safety in the Healthcare Environment
- Moving the Patient in Bed and Positioning
- Providing Hygiene
- Assisting With Elimination and Perineal Care
- Bedmaking and Therapeutic Beds
- Assisting Patients With Eating
- Assessing Temperature, Pulse, and Respiration
- Measuring Blood Pressure
- Monitoring Intake and Output
- Nursing Physical Assessment
- Collecting Specimens and Performing Common Laboratory Tests
- Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
- Assisting With Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures
- Ambulation: Simple Assisted and Using Cane, Walker, or Crutches
- Implementing Range-of-Motion Exercises
- Caring for Patients With Casts and Braces
- Caring for the Patient in Traction or With an External Fixation Device
- Isolation Procedures
- Basic Sterile Technique: Sterile Field and Sterile Gloves
- Surgical Asepsis: Scrubbing, Gowning, and Closed Gloving
- Administering Enemas
- Assisting the Patient Who Requires Urinary Catheterization
- Caring for the Patient With an Ostomy
- Inserting and Maintaining a Nasogastric Tube
- Administering Tube Feedings
- Administering Oxygen
- Respiratory Care Procedures
- Oral and Nasopharyngeal Suctioning
- Tracheostomy Care and Suctioning
- Caring for Patients with Chest Drainage
- Emergency Resuscitation Procedures
- Applying Bandages and Binders
- Applying Heat and Cold
- Administering Ear and Eye Irrigations
- Providing Wound Care
- Providing Preoperative Care
- Providing Postoperative Care
- Providing Postmortem Care
- Administering Oral Medications
- Administering Medications by Alternative Routes
- Administering Medications by Injections
- Preparing and Maintaining Intravenous Infusions
- Administering Intravenous Medications
- Caring for Patients With Central Venous Catheters
- Initiating Intravenous Therapy
- Administering Parenteral Nutrition
- Administering Blood and Blood Components
- Administering Epidural Medications