A Comprehensive Guide to Cold Food Preparation
by Lou Sackett
Professional Garde Manger: A Comprehensive Guide to Cold Food Preparation presents culinary students and professional working chefs with the comprehensive and visual coverage of everything they need to know to master the cold kitchen.
This book provides step-by-step techniques and procedures covering over 450 recipes and more than 750 recipe variations for the garde manger chef. Illustrated with line drawings and more than 500 new photos, it covers topics ranging from simple salads to mousellines and charcuterie specialties to careers in the field.
- Same proven pedagogical features and easy-to-follow recipe layout as Professional Cooking and
- Professional Baking, including chapter pre-requisites and objectives and key terms.
- Focus on teaching and mastering skills necessary to be successful as a garde manger chef, with reinforcement in practicing recipes provided.
- Sidebars throughout the text present special topics, including The History of... and The Science of... boxes, which add interesting insight and detail
- Over 500 new photographs illustrate by step-by-step processes and techniques and beautifully presented finished dishes
- More than 450 new recipes and over 750 recipe variations combine to offer the most comprehensive selection of recipes encompassing numerous styles and techniques available
- Plating blueprint diagrams accompany many finished dish recipes show how the final presentation is built
- Thoroughly revised and updated, Wiley CulinarE-CompanionTM Recipe Management Software now includes video clips demonstrating basic skills for use as prework or review, and contains all recipes from the book -- and more!
- The Garde Manger Profession
- Sauces and Dressings
- Simple Salads and Tossed Salads
- Cold Vegetables and Fruits
- Complex Salads
- Cold Seafood
- Cold Meats
- Cold Soups
- Garde Manger Sandwiches
- Cold Hors d’Oeuvres
- Cured and Smoked Foods
- Pâtés, Terrines, and Charcuterie Specialties
- Cheese and Other Cultured Dairy Products
- Aspic and Chaud-Froid
- Condiments, Embellishments, and Décor
- Buffets and Food Bars
Appendix: Basic Preparations