by Lewis Reed
SPECS: The Foodservice and Purchasing Specification Manual is a ready resource of the standards by which foods are measured, purchased, and inspected.
- The development of a purchasing system, complete with sample forms for bids, ordering, receiving, and issuing
- Quality controls and federal regulations
- Storage and handling procedures
- How to differentiate between "high" and "low" quality products
- Purchasing policies and information guaranteed to save time and money
- The diet-conscious culture, including religious dietary laws, reading nutritional labels, increasing food awareness, and how it affects consumer eating habits
- The theory behind specifications: Why do we need specifications? Who develops them? Who uses them?
- Purchasing Policies
- Fruits, Fresh and Processed
- Dairy Products
- Religious Dietary Laws
- Convenience Foods
- Miscellaneous Groceries
- Storage and Handling